Through fundraising, community involvement, and partnerships with other organizations, The Markie Foundation continually seeks unique opportunities to provide assistance for those in need.
Beneficiaries include, but are not limited to:
- Children’s hospice and pediatric palliative care
- Children’s hospice facilities
- Children’s hospice research and literature
- Family support programs
The Foundation is not limited geographically; however, we currently support programs within Northern California. If you are interested in a grant from The Markie Foundation, see our Grant Guidelines Information.
Where Has Our Money Gone?
Support from our many donors has enabled The Markie Foundation to raise and disburse nearly $500,000 since our inception. Our beneficiaries over the past 21 years include (listed by most recent):
- $25,000 to George Mark Children’s House for specialized patient lift beds and various therapy programs
- $15,000 to UC Davis Foundation for pediatric bereavement services and a specialized pediatric resource specialist position
- $5,000 to Hinds Hospice for its Hinds Kids Pediatric Program and in celebration of the organization’s 40th Anniversary
- $5,000 to Okizu for the continued recovery of its childhood cancer camp property following last year’s wildfires
- $1,000 to Donovan Creason Memorial Fund for children’s charities in the Sacramento area
- $5,000 to Okizu to support the recovery and restoration of their camp property, which was devastated during this year’s wildfires.
- $2,500 to George Mark Children’s House to cover the cost of meals for families staying at GMCH throughout the year.
- $3,000 to George Mark Children’s House to supports its 2020 summer appeal and virtual Autumn Celebration, supporting pediatric palliative care services.
- $20,000 to George Mark Children’s House to fund the continuation of hits highly valued music therapy program.
- $1,500 to George Mark Children’s House and Hinds Hospice each for the purchase of masks, supplies, and other necessities as they continue to care for patients during the COVID-19 situation.
- $1,500 to Neve’s Gift to provide a dignified means for parents and families to spend more time with a baby who has passed, with a Caring Cradle.
- $20,000 to George Mark Children’s House to expand its bereavement program and services, as well as provide needed refurnishing of its nursing station and bereavement suite.
- $5,000 to Okizu for its SIBS (Special and Important Brothers and Sisters) Camp.
- $5,000 to Hinds Hospice to support its HindsKids Pediatric Program.
- $5,000 to Okizu to support Okizu’s “Superhero Summer,” enabling children with cancer to experience a fun, adventurous camp in a beautiful and caring setting. Our donation was triple-matched, making it a $15,000 impact to the organization.
- $20,000 to George Mark Children’s House to support GMCH’s ongoing operations to ensure children and families continue to receive the specialized care and treatment needed. Our donation was matched by an anonymous GMCH donor, making it a $40,000 impact to the organization.
- $15,000 to George Mark Children’s House to support GMCH’s Fund-a-Bed Campaign to ensure children and families continue to receive the specialized care and treatment needed, regardless of their ability to pay or amount of insurance reimbursement.
- $10,000 to George Mark Children’s House to help replace several highly specialized patient beds used to care for the children they serve, as GMCH continues to serve hundreds of families in need.
- $1,500 to Okizu–To enable an entire family dealing with childhood cancer to spend time outside the hospital in a beautiful camp setting, complete with the necessary medical care and family programs.
- $15,000 to George Mark Children’s House to support the organization’s therapeutic programs (including refinishing the spa/hydro-therapy area) and purchase additional nursing supplies
- $12,500 to George Mark Children’s House to support the organization’s transitional care and respite care programs, as well as an NBC Universal LifeLine program with Larry King to raise awareness of the need for children’s hospice services
- $5,000 to Coastal Kids Home Care to support the organizations’ Treatment for Life-Threatening Conditions (TLC) program, the only service delivering pediatric palliative and end-of-life care along California’s Central Coast
- $2,500 to Children’s Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition to help several families attend California’s Public Policy Day in Sacramento, to further raise awareness of the need for children’s hospice care
- $1,500 to Hinds Hospice to support the organization’s Pediatric Palliative Care Program, which served 476 children in 2013
- $15,000 to George Mark Children’s House to support its much needed sibling bereavement program.
- $5,000 to Hinds Hospice to continue our support of the organization’s pediatric hospice services in Central California.
- $10,000 to Children’s Hospice and Palliative Care Coalition to support its Partnership for Parents, Family Advisory Council, and other family service programs.
- $30,000 to Sutter North Hospice for its children’s bereavement program, including specialized sibling bereavement services.
- $15,000 to Children’s Hospice and Palliative Care Coalition to support its Partnership for Children program
- $11,000 to Hinds Hospice to purchase home-use medical equipment and support its Angel Babies program
- $29,000 to George Mark Children’s House to provide ongoing pediatric nursing care and other services
- $35,000 to Hinds Hospice to fund a Pediatric Hospice Nurse Liaison position
- $20,000 to UC Davis Medical Center to sponsor a children’s hospice conference
- $15,000 to George Mark Children’s House to provide sibling bereavement services and play equipment
- $50,000 to Comfort for Kids to fund an additional pediatric hospice nurse serving families in need
- $1,000 to The Leo Brien Foundation for Camp Okizu, a free camp for children with cancer and their families
- $1,300 to Roman Perkins & Family to help fund a bone marrow drive
- $20,000+ to various other ongoing charity fundraising efforts
This activity demonstrates our commitment to children’s hospice services and the ongoing support of donors to help make a difference in the lives of terminally ill children and their families. We are extremely grateful for the many contributions as we continue to grow this wonderful cause.